Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cia Guo-Qiang




I love his use of gunpowder. I think it's a fascinating medium to use for drawing and I really don't think I'd ever think of something like that. The unpredictability of gunpowder is something I like because I really enjoy not knowing exactly how things turn out. I think that's a really important part of making art is failure. If everything we made came out perfect we would have no room to grow as artists and I like how he just embraces that.

When I first saw the installations involving the dead animals I didn't really know how to feel about them. I thought that the use of the animals was interesting but I really didn't personally like it. Although I think the more pieces involving the fake animals I see I actually kind of like. Especially the one with the wolves leaping across the room and then crashing into the glass I think the concept is pretty cool and just the amount of work that had to go into these pieces is amazing.

The car installations are increadable. I love the look of explosion the lights give the cars but the cars still remain perfectly intact. They almost remind me of scenes from movies and stunt cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment